Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thunder Thighs and a Big Booty

As a "runner" (I use that term loosely...) I have been working hard to run longer as well as faster. I began running in 2010, but became injured during training for a half-marathon and had to take 2 weeks off completely and then work my way back into training 2 weeks before the race. Needless to say, at that point I was using a run/walk method to train and complete the half.

Since I started attempting to seriously run again this spring, I have continued using the run/walk method, gradually working my way into more running than walking. So my time per mile is typically between 12 and 14 minutes. The fastest I have ran a mile in is 12 minutes exactly. That was during a speed workout on the treadmill. So I really feel bad for those of you who run a sub 10 minute mile and think you are slow. Please...

Stay outta my lane...
http://completerunning.com/archives/2008/02/18/photo-of-the-week-slug-lane

I read today that for every pound a runner loses, they can typically run 2 seconds per mile faster. So my goal of losing around 15 pounds would give me a 30 second faster mile time. But, you see, the thing is, I am having a hard time losing ANY weight. I have fluctuated between 142 lbs. and 144 lbs. over the last month. At 5'3" that puts my BMI into the lowest end of  the "overweight" category. I've always been considered "muscular" and have been told I'm built like a cheerleader, short and stacked. But there's nothing like your Wii Fit telling you that you are fat! I have never had body image issues until after my pregnancy and more so since I started running. It's like I am comparing myself to other runners, and I know I shouldn't. I mean the whole purpose in running is to feel good about myself, right?

Dressing room self portrait from today...

Another self portrait from today...workout clothes.

Where I am struggling now with the weight loss is that I typically watch what I eat (meaning out of approximately 21 meals a week, about 18-19 are low fat, healthy meals), I work out 5-6 days a week, and I still seem to be stuck. Maybe it's the sweet tea I drink once or twice a week? I've cut down tremendously, and I even get unsweetened tea and use Splenda pretty often, too.

 This is my new 'Tea Tumbler'. 
It's one of those reusable cups so I can get 99 cent tea for the rest of 2011!
 It's an addiction, I promise I can't help it...

Maybe it's the Sunday lunches at my MIL's house? Or maybe I'm not working hard enough or long enough when I do workout? I have tracked my calories for weeks at a time, to no avail. I don't think I can pinpoint any one thing. Too many calories consumed, too little calorie burning and too much worrying about it!

Obviously in 18 days when I begin to follow a training schedule for the half marathon in November, my workout intensity will increase somewhat. I hope that by running more, running faster and continuing to eat healthy 95% of the time (moderation, right?!?), that I will see some results. I just hope that increase in intensity does not find me injured again.

I'll leave you with two of my favorite posters by Nike about positive body image:


So I want to know, What advice do you have for losing weight, running longer and faster or both?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any real advice on anything, but:
    1) - You are beautiful.
    2) - Just keep doing what you're doing. If you follow a good training schedule for your half-marathon, I can't help but think that the increase in distance alone will help. If you keep eating healthy, as well, everything should start clicking.
    3) - As far as running longer / faster, GRADUAL is the key word. Do you use a training schedule or create your own?
    4) - Keep up the good work!! You really are doing awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen. It helps to have others tell you what you should already know, but somehow can't accept! I've just felt stuck lately, and I've had too much time to focus on it, since I'm not working.

    Right now I am training on my own schedule, which is to run 3-4 days a week, usually between 1-3 miles because I've been working on increasing speed rather than distance. Last time I tried to do both, I got injured. Then I try to cross train at least 3 days a week, which sometimes overlaps with a running day. Since I'm doing Ripped in 30, I'm really going to be cross training 5 days a week for the next few weeks.

    I have a training schedule for this half marathon that starts July 25th (provided by the race people), but each week there is 4 days in a row of running, and I don't know if my body can handle that at this point. My shins/calves are miserable today from 2 days in a row! I may have to tweak it to figure out what my body can handle.

    ReplyDelete